For more information about the subjects discussed on this website please refer to the list of sources below:
- About the Strait
- Commercial Issues
About the Strait
- American Thinker, The Guns of '88: Lessons of the Forgotten Tanker War. Online. Available: http://www.americanthinker.com/2006/04/the_guns_of_88_lessons_of_the.html. Accessed: November 21, 2007.
- Ewan W. Anderson, The Middle East: Geography and Geopolitics (London: Routledge, 2000).
- Dennis Blair and Kenneth Lieberthal, "Smooth Sailing: The World's Shipping Lanes Are Safe," Foreign Affairs, vol. 86, no. 3 (May-June 2007).
- Colbert C. Held, Middle East Patterns: Places, People, and Politics (Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 2000).
- Anthony Cordesman, Iran's Military Forces in Transition (Westport, Connecticut: Praeger, 1999).
- GlobalSecurity.org, Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988). Online. Available: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/iran-iraq.htm. Accessed: October 20, 2007.
- Robert E Harkavy and Geoffrey Kemp, Strategic Geography and the Changing Middle East (Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution Press, 1997).
- Simon Henderson, "Energy in Danger: Iran,Oil, and the West," Washington Institute for Near East Policy,Policy Focus #83, June, 2008.
- Martin S. Navias and E.R. Hooton, Tanker Wars: The Assault on Merchant Shipping During the Iran-Iraq Conflict, 1980-1988 (London: I.B. Tauris Publishers, 1996).
- Energy Information Administration, Country Analysis Briefs: OPEC. (March 7, 2006). Online. Available: http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/opec.html. Accessed: February 2, 2008.
- Energy Information Administration, Country Analysis Briefs: Persian Gulf Region (June 2007). Online. Available: http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/Persian_Gulf/Background.html. Accessed: January 29, 2008.
- Energy Information Administration, International Energy Outlook 2007 (May 2007). Online. Available: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/pdf/0484(2007).pdf. Accessed: January 15, 2008.
- Energy Information Administration, Oil Market Basics. Online. Available: http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/analysis_publications/oil_market_basics/default.htm. Accessed: November 21, 2007.
- Perrine Faye, "Iraq Attacks Drive up Oil Tanker Insurance Costs," Agence France Presse (April 28, 2004).
- David L. Goldwyn, ed., Energy and Security: Toward a New Foreign Policy Strategy (Washington, D.C.: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006).
- George Horwich and David Leo Weimer, ed., Responding to International Oil Crisis (Washington, D.C.: American Enterprise Institute, 1977).
- International Energy Agency, Fact Sheet on IEA Oil Stocks and Emergency Response Potential. Online. Available: http://www.iea.org/textbase/papers/2004/factsheetcover.pdf. Accessed: January 28, 2008.
- Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries. What is OPEC? (October 2007). Online. Available: http://www.opec.org/library/what%20is%20OPEC/WhatisOPEC.pdf.
- Robert C. Seward, "The Role of Protection and Indemnity (P&I) Clubs," Tindall Riley (Britannia) Ltd; Online. Available: www.intertanko.com/pubupload/protection%20%20indemnity%20HK%202002.pdf. Accessed: January 18, 2008.
- Jerry Taylor and Peter Van Doren, "The Case Against the Strategic Petroleum Reserve," Cato Institute, Policy Analysis, no. 555 (November 21, 2005).
- U.S. Department of Energy, Strategic Petroleum Reserve - Quick Facts and Frequently Asked Questions. Online. Available: http://www.fossil.energy.gov/programs/reserves/spr/spr-facts.html. Accessed: November 15, 2007.
- U.S. General Accountability Office, Strategic Petroleum Reserve (Washington, D.C., August 2006).
- Phillip K. Verleger, Oil Markets in Turmoil: An Economic Analysis (Cambridge, Massachusetts: Ballinger Publishing Company, 1982).
- Robert J. Weiner and Alvin L. Alm, ed., Oil Shock: Policy Response and Implementation (Cambridge, Massachusetts: Ballinger Publishing Company, 1984).
- Brian Wright and Jeffrey C. Williams, "The Roles of Public and Private Storage in Managing Oil Import Disruptions," The Bell Journal of Economics, vol. 13, no. 2 (Autumn 1982).
- David G. Victor and Sarah Eskreis-Winkler,"In the Tank:Making the Most of Strategic Oil Reserves," Foreign Affairs, Vol. 87, No. 4 (July/August 2008).
- GlobalSecurity.org, Bahrain Facilities. Online. Available: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/bahrain.htm. Accessed: October 25, 2007.
- GlobalSecurity.org, Homeland Security: Limburg oil tanker attacked. Online. Available: http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/profiles/limburg_oil_tanker_attacked.htm. Accessed: November 15, 2007.
- IMO, Revised phase-out schedule for single-hull tankers enters into force. Online. Available: http://www.imo.org/About/mainframe.asp?topic_id=1018&doc_id=4801. Accessed: October 17, 2007.
- International Association of Independent Tanker Owners (Intertanko), Intertanko Annual Report and Review 2006/2007: Tanker Facts 2007. Online. Available: http://www.intertanko.com/about/annualreports/2006/5.html. Accessed: October 17, 2007. Accessed: October 18, 2007.
- Maritime Transport Committee, Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Security in Maritime Transport: Risk Factors and Economic Impact (July 2003). Online. Available: http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/19/61/18521672.pdf. Accessed: November 15, 2007.
- National Research Council, Commission on Engineering and Technical Systems, Committee on Oil Pollution Act of 1990, Double-Hull Tanker Legislation: An Assessment of the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 (Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1998), p. 118. Online. Available: http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=5798&page=117. Accessed: September 29, 2007.
- National Fire Protection Association Journal, Tanker Fire Safety. May/June 1998. Online. Available: http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/story.asp?Article=211961&Sn=busi&IssueID=30366. Accessed: October 8, 2007.
- Martin S. Navias and E.R. Hooton, Tanker Wars: the Assault on Merchant Shipping During the Iran-Iraq Conflict, 1980-1988 (London, New York: IB Tauris, 1996).
- Maritime Business Strategies, LLP, The World Fleet of LNG Tankers (as of 2007). Online. Available: http://www.coltoncompany.com/shipbldg/worldsbldg/gas/lngactivefleet.htm. Accessed: October 31, 2007.
- Paul W. Parfomak, Congressional Research Service - Report for Congress, Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Infrastructure Security: Background and Issues for Congress (September 9, 2003). Online. Available: www.energy.ca.gov/lng/documents/CRS_RPT_LNG_INFRA_SECURITY.PDF. Accessed: October 31, 2007.
- R.M. Pitblado, J Balk, G.J. Hughes, C. Ferro, and S.J. Shaw, Center for Chemical Process Safety Conference, Consequences of LNG Marine Incidents. Orlando, FL, June 29-July 1 2004. Online. Available: http://www.energy.ca.gov/lng/documents/CCPS_PAPER_PITBLADO.PDF. Accessed: October 31, 2007.
- Daniel Yergin, "Ensuring Energy Security," Foreign Affairs, vol. 85, no. 2 (March/April 2006), pp. 69-82.
- Bassam Fattouh, "How Secure are Middle East Oil Supplies?" Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, Working Paper 33 (September 2007).
- Daniel Byman, Shahram Chubin, Anoushiravan Ehteshami, and Jerrold D. Green, Iran's Security Policy in the Post-Revolutionary Era (Santa Monica: RAND, 2001).
- Anthony Cordesman, Iran, Oil and the Strait of Hormuz (CSIS Publication, March 26, 2007).
- Anthony Cordesman, Iran's Revolutionary Guards, the Al Quds Force, and Other Intelligence and Paramilitary Forces (Washington, D.C.,: Center for Strategic International Studies, August 16, 2007). Online. Available: http://www.csis.org/media/csis/pubs/070816_cordesman_report.pdf. Accessed: November 15, 2007.
- Major Dale R. Davis, "Iran's Strategic Philosophy and Growing Sea-Denial Capabilities," Marine Corps Gazette, No. 59 (July 1995).
- Michael Eisenstadt, "The Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran: An Assessment," Middle East Review of International Affairs Journal, vol. 5, no. 1 (March 2001).
- James M. Esquivel, "Iran and the Strait of Hormuz: Varying Levels of Interdiction" (Masters Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, December 1997). Online. Available: http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA342027&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf. Accessed: November 12, 2007.
- "Jane's World Armies: Iran," Jane's Defense News (August 29, 2006). Online. Available: http://www.janes.com/defence/news/jwar/jwar060829_1_n.shtml. Accessed: November 10, 2007.
- Larry Everest, "The U.S. & Iran: A History of Imperialist Domination, Intrigue and Intervention," Revolution, no. 90 (May 27, 2007). Online. Available: http://rwor.org/a/090/iran-pt2-en.html. Accessed: November 15, 2007.
- Ira M. Lapidus, A History of Islamic Societies, (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1988).
- Kenneth M. Pollack, The Persian Puzzle: The Conflict Between Iran and America (New York: Random House, 2004).
- Roger Stern, "The Iranian Petroleum Crisis and United States National Security," Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States, vol. 104 no. 1 (January 2, 2007).
- James Bruce, "Choking the Strait: Iranian Naval Firepower and the Threat to Gulf Shipping," Jane's Intelligence Review, No. 8 (September 1996).
- Congressional Research Service, "Iran: Arms and Technology Acquisitions" (Washington, D.C.: June 22, 1998).
- Anthony H. Cordesman, Iran's Developing Military Capabilities (Washington, D.C.: The Center for Strategic and International Studies Press, 2005).
- Anthony H. Cordesman, Iranian Arms Transfers: The Facts (Washington, D.C.: The Center for Strategic and International Studies, October 2000).
- Michael Eisenstadt, Iranian Military Power: Capabilities and Intentions (Washington DC, Washington Institute for Near East Policy, 1991).
- James Hackett, ed., International Institute for Strategic and International Studies, The Military Balance 2008 (London: Routledge, 2007).
- Wayne P. Hughes USN (Ret.), Fleet Tactics and Coastal Combat (Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 2000).
- CAPT Gregory J. Cornish, USN., "U.S. Naval Mine Warfare Strategy: Analysis of the Way Ahead," USAWC Strategy Research Project, U.S. Army War College, 2003.
- Department of the Navy, US Naval Mine Warfare Plan, Fourth Edition, 2004. Online. Available: http://www.exwar.org/Htm/ConceptDocs/Navy_USMC/MWP4thEd/contents.htm. Accessed: October 28, 2007.
- CDR Tim Garrold, USN, "Surface Warfare Officers School Command." Online. Available: http://fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/%20swos/cmd/miw/Sp6-4-1/index.htm. Accessed: October 28, 2007.
- GlobalSecurity.org, Mines. Online. Available: www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/mines.htm. Accessed: October 20, 2007.
- Gregory K. Hartmann and Scott Truver, Weapons That Wait: Mine Warfare in the U.S. Navy (Annapolis, MD: United States Naval Institute, 1991).
- A. H. Keil, "The Response of Ships to Underwater Explosions," Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers Transactions, Vol. 69 (1961), pp. 366-410.
- J. A. Lawrimore, GlobalSecurity.org, Mine Warfare: Where is it Today? (1993). Online. Available: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1993/LJA.htm. Accessed: November 5, 2007.
- D.A. Morris, The Mine Warfare Cycle: History, Indications, and Future, Globalsecurity.org, 1997. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1997/Morris.htm. Accessed: October 10, 2007.
- Samuel Loring Morrison, The International Guide to Naval Mine Warfare (Washington, D.C.: King Communications Group, Inc., 2000).
- Naval Studies Board, Naval Mine Warfare: Operational and Technical Strategies for Naval Forces (Washington, D.C.: National Academy of Sciences, 2001).
- John J. Rios, "Naval Mines in the 21st Century: Can NATO Navies Meet the Challenge?" (Master's Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, 2005).
- GlobalSecurity.org, SMS Guided Missiles, Aerodynamics, and Flight Principles. Online. Available: www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/navy/nrtc/14110_ch9.pdf. Accessed: January 19, 2008.
- E.R. Hooten, ed., Jane's Naval Weapon Systems (Alexandria: Jane's Information Group Inc., 2004).
- Thomas G. Mahnken, "The Cruise Missile Challenge," Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, (March 2005).
- MissileThreat.com, Glossary for Cruise Missiles. Online. Available: http://www.missilethreat.com/cruise/pageID.1736/default.asp. Accessed: February 1, 2008.
- Martin S. Navias and E.R. Hooten, Tanker Wars: The Assault on Merchant Shipping During the Iran-Iraq Crisis, 1980-1988 (New York: I.B. Taurus & Co Ltd, 1996).
- David J Nicholls, "Cruise Missiles and Modern War," Occasional Paper No. 13 Center for Strategy and Technology Air War College (May 2000).
- U.S. Office of Technology Assessment, Technologies Underlying Weapons of Mass Destruction, OTA-BP-ISC-115, December, 1993.
- James Carafano, "Small Boats, Big Worries: Thwarting Terrorist Attacks from the Sea," Heritage Foundation - Backgrounder, June 11, 2007. Online. Available: http://www.heritage.org/Research/HomelandDefense/bg2041.cfm. Accessed October 5, 2007.
- Fariborz Haghshenass, "Iran's Doctrine of Asymmetric Naval Warfare," The Washington Institute for Near East Policy, PolicyWatch #1179, December 21, 2006.
- Matt Hilburn, "Asymmetric Strategy: Growing Iranian Navy Relies on 'Unbalanced Warfare' Tactics," Seapower (December 2006).
- International Maritime Bureau, Piracy and Armed Robbery Against Ships Annual Report 2007 (London: ICC International Maritime Bureau, 2008).
- Seymour Hersh, "Last Stand; Annals of National Security," New Yorker (July 10, 2006).
- Richard O'Neill, Suicide Squads: Axis and Allied Special Attack Weapons of World War II: Their Development and their Missions (London: Salamander Books, 1981).
- Roy Burcher and Louis Rydill, Concepts in Submarine Design (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998).
- Federation of American Scientists, Diesel-Electric Torpedo Submarine. Online. Available: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/877.htm. Accessed: November 22, 2007.
- David Miller, "Submarines in the Gulf," Military Technology, No. 17 (1993).
- Naval-technology.com, SSK Kilo Class (Type 636) Attack Submarine, Russia. Online. Available: http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/kilo/index.html. Accessed: November 22, 2007.
- Royal Navy, Submarine FAQ. Online. Available: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.2559. Accessed: October 22, 2007.
- John R. Benedict, "The Unraveling and Revitalization of U.S. Navy Antisubmarine Warfare," Naval War College Review, Vol. 58, No. 2 (Spring 2005).
- E.W. Jolie, "A Brief History of U.S. Navy Torpedo Development," Newport Laboratory, (1978). Online. Available: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/jolie/index.htm. Accessed: February 3, 2008.
This page last modified in August 2008