How to Apply
Applications for the 2021-22 cohort are now closed. The deadline to apply was March 30, 2021. Please note that applications for the 2022-23 cohort will reopen during the Spring 2022 semester. Selection results in an appointment for the upcoming academic year (with the possibility of renewal for Fellows who will have a subsequent year in residence in their graduate degree program). Please see below for eligibility and application information.
- You must currently be enrolled as a graduate student in good standing at the University of Texas at Austin. All graduate-level programs (Master’s, Ph.D., JD) at the University of Texas at Austin are eligible, regardless of their area of study. Students in programs that are not typically perceived as linked to international affairs, such as business or the natural sciences, should not hesitate to apply.
- You must be enrolled as a full-time graduate student for both fall and spring semesters of the 2021-22 academic year, and you must be in residence in Austin during that time.
- You must have a GPA of at least 3.5.
- You must have demonstrated interest or experience in, and a desire to learn more about, one of the Strauss Center’s existing program areas. Examples include:
- Artificial Intelligence
- U.S. Intelligence Activities
- Terrorism and Counterterrorism
- National Security Law
- Complex Emergencies and Climate Security
- Security and Migration in Mexico and Central America
- East Asia Security and Rights
- State Fragility
- Space Security and Safety
Applications should include:
- A detailed cover letter that explains your academic and professional interests, your career plans, and why you are interested in participating in the intellectual life of the Strauss Center. Your cover letter must identify the particular Strauss Center research program(s) on which you wish to work.
- Resume, with your complete contact information, including email address and phone number.
- Names and contact information for two references. At least one of these references should be a faculty member.
- Unofficial graduate school transcript. If offered acceptance into the program, you will need to supply an official graduate school transcript.
Please contact Lindsay Stanek at [email protected] if you have any questions.